“It’s a very difficult decision. When you know that the whole village is looking at you with scrutiny and in your decision whether to leave, they are making predictions about what will happen next. It’s as if the missionaries know more, that they know the maps and the strategy of the rebellion that is advancing every day,” says Sister Ania.
The mission in Ntamugenga had to evacuate. Sister Ania Nowakowska first reached Rutshuru and from there proceeded to the Rwandan border. She is now safe. She met up with the sisters from Nyakinama. None of us thought that this would eventually happen, that it would get so dangerous that we would have to leave our home and hospital. Unfortunately, the situation suddenly became complicated. Sister Ania left at the last possible moment.
What about the hospital? Dr John and some of the staff remain on site. They are not leaving the bedsides. The hospital is still treating and ready to receive those most in need. A shipment of supplies will arrive at the first possible moment. It is ready and waiting for a moment of calm amid the fighting.
It is not that we are leaving the hospital, because the hospital is not the walls, which can be rebuilt, but it is the people, the missionaries, the staff who make it up. We are in touch all the time with those who have decided to stay. Sister Agnieszka and Sister Ania are doing what they can to keep everyone safe. We are waiting for developments.